Free-Falling into Faith

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” Philippians 4:6(NIV)


by Alexandra Copeland

A few years back, I went through a growth spirt in my spiritual development in Christ. I can confirm that it was one of the most challenging seasons that I’ve experienced in my Christian walk, but I wouldn’t trade it for the world. I honestly didn’t know whether I was coming or going, because the knowledge and spiritual practices that I had known prior were not bringing me the results I expected. I was in an uncomfortable holding pattern, and to some degree still am, but this has increased my faith exponentially! I had heard radical Christian mavericks speak about free-falling into faith, but like so many of us do, I dismissed this notion because it made me uneasy. My comfort zone was indeed cozy, and left to my own devices, I would not have ever chosen to ‘loose it’. That is not an easy thing to admit. 

When it became apparent that my life was moving on a trajectory that was not going to allow for the comforts I had once counted on, panic set in. Nervousness and anxiety were my buzz words, because they defined my constant state of existence. Like the back of my hand, I knew Philippians 4:6(NIV), “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” I soon found out that in the confines of calm waters, it had been fairly easy to trust and practice this verse. I was not a neophyte trying to get rooted in the Word, but indeed had been on this Christian journey my entire adult life. My repertoire of faith included overcoming a few storms, and my catalog of believing was stacked with knowledge that most consider the deep things of the Spirit. 

God had spoiled me. I don’t mean this in a bad way, but in the best way possible. I had enjoyed season after season of growth and blessings. I’d complete my prayer book at the beginning of the year; list all the things I planned to accomplish for the Kingdom, and then list those things I wanted to receive as blessings for myself or family members. I believed to receive, because I knew that God would deliver on His promises, and He did in an exceedingly abundant way. I practiced an active faith, one where my believing was backed with Godly and fruitful action. It was a strategic and spiritual plan that worked for me with mathematical precision. So, imagine my surprise when I experienced an abrupt halt that blocked my flow. Oh, I was mad about it! 

After a few months of walking around in shock, I began to realize that I was in serious learning mode. Gone were the days of clinging to those things that made me comfortable in my silo. Like many of us, for years I had relied on my own expertise of maneuvering through systems and finances, and God provided mightily through this lifestyle. I mistakenly thought this would continue. I also thought that I had been relying solely on God as my sufficiency, and not these other things; but the wall I hit proved me wrong. I overlooked the fact that there were gaps of trust in my relationship with Heavenly Father. I had to confront them so that I could move to the next level of faith and spiritual growth. I learned invaluable lessons indeed.  

THE IMPORTANCE OF FAITH

A relationship is a two-way street. It takes two parties that are committed to both give and receive something of quality from one another. Our relationship with God is the most important relationship we will ever have. Romans 8:29(NLT) tells us, “For God knew his people in advance, and he chose them to become like his Son, so that his Son would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.” Through the sacrifice of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, we were bought with a price. We’re God’s children! Our relationship with Him is one where He pours blessings and love into us, and we respond to His goodness by loving Him through faith and gratitude.

Hebrews 11:6 tells us that it is impossible to please God without faith. Growing in faith is how our relationship with God grows. Growth will always require us to relinquish the less useful for the more useful. Some of us have a hard time letting go of certain sins, but faith will require that we do. Our relationship with God deepens as we surrender and trust Him more than we have in the past. He is our Source, and any time that we forget or fail to see the totality of this truth, we will feel as though life is getting away from us. 

FOCUS ONLY ON GOD

Increasingly Christians are growing in God’s grace, but also leaving the door open to sin. The consequences of this are harsh, and if they haven’t already, will soon catch up to us. Sin will cause us to be blocked and blind to the areas in our relationship with Heavenly Father that need to be strengthened. 

An abundant life requires us to hear and perceive God’s directives through the Spirit that indwells us. When we’re blocked, it is because we’re focused on matters that create a lot of noise in the channel.

To get unblocked, there must be a willingness on our part to surrender the thing we’ve held to so tightly. To do this, we must identify what that thing is. It will require prayer and spending quality time with Heavenly Father. This means that we will need to drown out other noises of the world and tune in only to Him through quiet meditation and prayer. My own personal practice is to go to a room or place where I can be alone. I begin this time with God with a prayer of forgiveness. As I enter the meditation part of this spiritual practice, I take deep and sequenced breaths, and I stay my mind on the name of Jesus Christ, repeating it in mind. I do this in rhythmic sync with exhaling my breath. 
This clearing allows the Holy Spirit to bring to my consciousness whatever I need to receive. 

It is a wonderful time with Heavenly Father. In every instance that we commit ourselves to focus on Him, we will never, ever leave His presence without having received something we need desperately. When we understand how precious this time and communion with God is, it will become easier to release the sin that disrupts our lives. 

THE DAMAGE OF ARROGANCE
Arrogance is evil and incredibly damaging to our relationship with God. Proverbs 16:18 tells us that sooner or later, it will cause destruction in our lives. Arrogance and pride are very subtle attitudes that can slip by us without our realizing that we’ve entertained them. We can get caught up in religious titles and intellectual distinctions, and our level of humility pays the price. This is really dangerous territory, and it will reap havoc on our lives. 

Arrogance will keep us from recognizing God’s directives, and it will also keep us stunted spiritually. Sometimes He will tell us to do things that might not appear to be the most rational or logical, but they are absolutely necessary to bring about wholeness and deliverance to a situation. It is imperative that we kick arrogance to the curb. This is the way to become exceedingly flexible and teachable. It demonstrates our readiness to hear the voice of God, and our willingness to be obedient to it.

I reached a season in my walk with Christ where increased spiritual acumen was required to be poised and positioned for the future. A few years ago, I thought I had arrived. Spiritually, I considered myself to be a dynamo for Jesus, and it didn’t dawn on me that I had been deceived by an arrogant mind-and-heart-set. There was no way that I could have ever imagined that I would be where I am today in my relationship with Heavenly Father through Jesus Christ. I have learned so much more, and although the road behind me was rough and tumultuous at times, I’m blessed beyond measure by the knowledge that God was with me every step, and He has fortified me to surrender and fall freely into His care.■

Scripture quotations marked (NLT) are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois 60189. All rights reserved.
Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group.

Comments

Popular Posts