Putting All Your Eggs in One Basket



by Alexandra Copeland

I grew up in the south, where I spent quite a bit of time with my grandmother. She had so much wisdom and doled it out more than I would have liked at times. In my youth, I didn’t always understand what she meant. Sometimes her brand of wisdom sounded like riddles that I didn’t find funny, but somehow, I knew ultimately would teach me a lesson I had been too stubborn to learn. As a teenager, I went through a stage she referred to as “boy-crazy.”  It was a pretty rough start when I began dating—lots of heartbreak and emotional extremes. The wisdom she gave me back then and well into my adult years is not to put all my eggs in one basket. It was a metaphor about my heart that aggravated me as a young lady getting her first foray into romantic love. Like everyone else my age, I wanted to dive in heart first, and certainly didn’t want to be thinking about eggs and baskets.

I’d let any boy that showed me the least bit of attention into my heart.  I was eager to fall for them lock, stock, and barrel, and would do anything I could to please them. My father had a reputation as a no-nonsense guy, and fear of him in my small town prevented any suitor from overstepping certain lines. But to the extent that they could take advantage of me without incurring the wrath of an overbearing father, they did. I overlooked the disrespect and poor treatment. I paid no attention to the many times it was written all over the wall that I wasn’t being treasured, and I compromised my values for their attention. I did anything I could think of to make the person want to be in a relationship with me. It never worked. 

Lesson Number One
I internalized the rejection as me not being good enough, but as I grew older, much of what my grandmother said started to make sense to me. I hadn’t valued the preciousness of my own eggs. In my haste I had disregarded them and ignored the fact that some of them were very fragile. But in the right basket they would be incubated and nurtured so that according to my destiny, they would birth something extraordinary. So, lesson number one was to be discerning about the basket.

Discernment comes from wisdom. God tells us in Proverbs 4:7(NKJV), “Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding.” Wisdom is a clarity of mind to execute sound actions or decisions made from a body of experience, right knowledge, and good judgment. Our Source of wisdom is God, and He tells us that gleaning His brand of wisdom is the wisest thing we can do. He instructs us to get smart about our time and purpose within His Will—to pursue wisdom in His Will and Purpose for our lives should be first and foremost, but often we have another agenda.

Many of us look for baskets that can’t secure our eggs, and we give ourselves license to continue to make poor decisions and bad judgments in relationships. We think we’re entitled because of youth, but youthful lust is not much of an excuse, because many of us are full-grown adults, mature in years, yet still making the same relationship mistakes we did when we were much younger.
 
Lesson Number Two
I learned, and did so the hard way, how fragile my eggs were. Lesson number two of my grandmother’s wisdom is to come clean about the fact that we’ve got some weaknesses that cause us to misfire in our relationships. 1Peter 5:8(NLT) says, “Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.” The enemy sniffs out our weaknesses. One of them is a willingness to place the good treasure of our heart into a basket of a person that can’t take care of their own eggs let alone someone else’s; We are often tricked this way. God knows our vulnerabilities and will help us to be strengthened in the areas where we’re weak, if we allow Him. Making our relationship with Him a number one priority, and not placing any individual higher on our list than Jesus Christ, will help us stand strong in His love and power.  
 
Lesson Number Three
Lesson number three, the most important, is there’s only one basket suitable for the preciousness of our eggs, and it belongs to Christ. He will guard our hearts and keep our feet from falling. In Matthew 12:35, he tells us that a good person brings forth good things from the good treasure of their hearts. Our hearts have tremendous capacity when they are wonderfully nurtured, and they can only be fully nurtured through Jesus Christ. He feeds us through God’s Word, and when it’s time—when we’re adequately strengthened, we won’t look to put our eggs in anyone else’s basket but seek to steer them towards Jesus. We will do this because we understand that we must love others through Him, and when we learn to put this high-quality kind of love out there, we’ll honor and respect ourselves and receive back the abundance of the heart we’ve given. ■

Scripture quotations marked (NLT) are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois 60189. All rights reserved. 

Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

Comments

Popular Posts