Green Lights from God



 “So anyone who becomes as humble as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.” Matthew 18:4(NLT)

by Alexandra Copeland
Miss Johnnie Mae was my family’s next door neighbor when I was growing up. I don’t think there’s a soul in the world that is quite like her. She was always generous and kind, but still struck me as kind of an enigma in those days. Miss Johnnie Mae was what they called in my small town, ‘Full of the Holy Ghost’. I didn’t know much about this label back then, only that it must have been strictly for Christians that were different than myself and those in my church community. I was often inquisitive about the differences, but I dared not ask my grandmother, who I knew to be wise on such matters. She would think a question like that to be impertinent for a child of my young age, so I made it my business to study this uniquely spiritual woman, Miss Johnnie Mae, and to discover her secrets on my own.

She was so brave to me to strike a different chord in the symphony of sameness that included most of the people I knew. Why wasn’t it enough for her? Why did she choose to attach herself to this small group of believers? They were isolated and often ostracized for being so expressive in their worship and praise; even thought by some to be ignorant and opposing to the doctrine of true Christianity. I was intrigued, and the more I studied Miss Johnnie Mae, the more intrigued I became. 
 
She spoke in tongues often and for long periods of time. She talked about Heavenly Father more than anyone I had ever known; and with every decision, even the mundane ones, she consulted the Lord Jesus. Not having ever heard tongues before, you would think that this would have been the most fascinating thing to me, but instead I was more interested in her commitment to seek God’s attention on what seemed to me to be almost every decision she made. I found it so odd, frustrating even, that she would consult the Great Big Creator of the entire universe with such trivial details. He had so much to do, I thought, and surely did not want to be bothered with how much she should spend on a new dress, or whether she would let her daughter go with us on a school trip to the zoo. 

Sometimes, I withheld my fondness for her and resented the discipline she not only kept for herself, but for her children as well. Her light though…that glorious light continued to draw me in. I don’t think either of us knew it, at least I certainly didn’t at the time, but she was modeling for me an example of the Christian walk that I would later cling to with all my heart. 

As I pursued my own independence and started to carve out my way as an adult, my journey was fraught with mistakes and missteps; so much so that I longed for the days when I didn’t have to make such tough decisions and choices. Time and time again, I failed miserably, and found myself in the corner licking my wounds and sometimes crying for days. In church mostly all of my life, with lots of loving people to pray for and support me, I believed that I had adequately been equipped for the travails of life ahead. I, like so many young folk, thought I knew it all. Oh how wrong I was.

A fear was birthed within me. Wrong choices were like piercing darts, and disappointments stung with amazingly painful venom. I began to shun new adventures and recoiled from opportunities that lacked guarantees I could count on. I became a young woman that was so very afraid of just about everything. The enemy was hot on my trail, and no chance that might land me yet another screw up was worth taking. This is not the kind of life that Jesus Christ made available to us, and it was truly miserable.

Something was very wrong, and I felt it with every fiber of my being. I was not living the life I was destined to live. Somehow, I had gotten separated from that life, and integration was the only option for me. I began to pray a new prayer. I asked God for answers, and unlike times before, I knew that He would speak to me in a way that was undeniable. The Spirit brought to my remembrance the commitment and discipline of my dear friend, Miss Johnnie Mae. We were over a thousand miles apart by then, and I had not seen her lovely face or heard her sweet voice in many years, but her mark was indelible.
 
“Seek Me in all things” I heard the Father say. And there it was, the symbol of obedience that was branded in my consciousness that very moment. Miss Johnnie Mae’s example of commitment and discipline had come full circle. A very clear line was drawn for me between those things that keep us on the path to purpose and those that cause us to veer away from it. I understood that sometimes it is the seemingly small thing that makes the difference, and that bringing everything before Heavenly Father is good practice for the Spirit. It teaches us to hear His voice, to know His Will, and to see the magnificence of the indwelling Holy Spirit as he guides us in our everyday lives. 

Miss Johnnie Mae had it so unbelievably right. Nothing is too mundane to bring before Him. She was delighting in Heavenly Father with such humility, and He was rewarding her with the pleasure of His company and the overwhelming comfort of hearing from Him on even the small stuff. She seeks Him as a child does a parent, and this is required. Jesus tells us Matthew 18:4(NLT), “So anyone who becomes as humble as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.”
 
It is so easy to move in the wrong direction, and to make decisions or choices that cause us to be harmed or severely hampered in life. My dear friend, Miss Johnnie Mae, understood this. She had the good sense to ask Heavenly Father for those green lights that signal His approval. They point us in the right direction and help to keep our feet from falling into traps. How wonderful it is to know that each of us can ask Heavenly Father for a green light that will direct us when to move and how. He waits for these invitations every day, and all we have to do is humble ourselves and ask. ■

Scripture quotations marked (NLT) are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Wheaton, Illinois 60189. All rights reserved.

Comments

Popular Posts